Saturday, June 15, 2013

First solo sail and no fail

Today was my first attempt at solo sailing. I was able to finish up the repairs to the rudder a day early, and Lori had some stuff going on this morning so she couldn't join me. With light winds, I thought it was the best opportunity to try solo sailing. It does make you think a little bit more about making sure all the lines, and everything, are where they're supposed to be. After leaving the marina I headed North up the river, but within an hour the winds had completely stopped. I had a little lunch and decided I might go back and do a little maintenance on the winches. But when I started approaching the marina, I could see the flags were fluttering, so I headed South past the marina, and put the sails back up. I was able to sail for a couple of hours, sailing 3-4 knots in the light wind, and getting used to tacking by myself. Then it was time to pack it up for the day and head back in.

I video taped some of it, and may post some of it here. Tomorrow Lori and I are planning to go back to the boat, with forecasted winds 8-10 miles per hour. With just the two of us, we can spend some time and get Lori at the helm of the boat, and start getting the feel of sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment